Celebrating the Festive Season with IBD: New Traditions and Challenges

The holiday season is a time of joy, shared moments, and cherished traditions. But for those in the IBDSuperHeroes community who are dealing with Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, the festive season unfolds with a set of challenges. We engaged with our community members to understand how IBD has influenced their approach to celebrations – from the dishes on their tables to the gatherings they attend. Here are the insightful and illuminating responses:

Alannah-Jayne Simpson: A Nostalgic Yearning

In the midst of festive cheer, Alannah-Jayne shares her sentiment of missing out on the simple pleasure of sipping a seasonal snowball. Whether it's the impact of Crohn's or stoma-related complexities, her story echoes a nostalgic yearning for traditions altered by health considerations.

“Unsure if Crohn’s or stoma related but I cannot handle alcohol at all no matter what it is or how much. Even a sip will make me have an extremely sore stomach and then I end up vomiting. I miss being able to have a snowball on Christmas day.”

Lisa Cummins: Crafting a Modified Feast

Lisa's festive journey involves navigating the delicate balance of enjoying the holiday feast while being mindful of foods that may not agree with her stomach. She reveals the art of modification, transforming potentially uncomfortable moments into a celebration that suits her needs.

“For some reason too much stuffing and gravy doesn’t agree with my stomach. Also if I have too much wine. So I just mix 7up and make a spritzer. I still enjoy my Christmas regardless. I’ll still eat the food just not as much, if I know I’m going somewhere the next day I’ll avoid the food that makes me feel sick. As I know I’ll be in pain etc. but If i stay home I know I can rest In bed for the day.”

Sahara Fleetwood-Beresford: Evolving Traditions

From vibrant nights out to cozy evenings, Sahara reflects on the transformation of her festive traditions. Embracing Christmas markets, crafting, and planning for the future, she beautifully illustrates the evolution of joyous occasions to accommodate her body's needs.

“I remember when the festive season meant nights out, drinking and dancing 🤣 these days it's all about the Christmas markets, garden planning for next year, crafting, and movies. The portion sizes don’t really suit my body either. It’s all big dinners and hefty desserts, but little and often suits my body much better.”

Lisa Fields: Social Strategies

Lisa Fields navigates the social landscape, expressing a hesitation to attend work Christmas gatherings due to the uncertainties around toilets, food, and the journey home. Her thoughtful approach involves strategic decisions, balancing enjoyment with potential health repercussions.

“I'm not as keen to go to work Xmas dos. Being somewhere unfamiliar worrying about toilets and food and the journey home too. Food wise at home, its a gamble, sometimes I'll eat a riskier food if I know I'll be at home for a few days afterwards anyway as it could be worth it!”

Roger Pasfield: Hopeful Festivities

Roger Pasfield shares his optimism for a more enjoyable Christmas despite the challenges of strictures caused by inflammation and scar tissue. With a hopeful spirit, he looks forward to relishing traditional delicacies while remaining cautious about potential triggers.

“My last two Christmases have been very difficult with having strictures, caused by Inflammation and scar tissue build up. This year, I can enjoy Christmas pudding, mince pies and Ferrero Rocher's. I'll still be wary of over indulging and also of foods I know I shouldn't eat, but still do ie. sprouts, stuffing, parsnips, gravy and alcohol.

Christmas is about family, friends and enjoying the moment and that's exactly what I'll be doing, even if that means I won't be feeling great the next day.”

Victoria Elise Adams: Celebration with Pragmatism

Victoria Elise Adams embraces celebration with a pragmatic mindset, acknowledging the potential aftermath while revelling in the freedom to enjoy the festivities. Her story highlights the importance of finding a balance between celebration and self-awareness.

“I’ve come to the point where I celebrate how I want and just accept that I’ll pay for it afterwards. I’m lucky that I’m not having the most awful symptoms/issues to deal with at the moment so I can do this. Need to plan ahead a lot more and have a clear schedule for at least a few days after a holiday though.”

In these diverse and reflective narratives, the IBDSuperHeroes community showcases their resilience and adaptability in celebrating the festive season. Through modification, redefinition, and mindful approaches, they continue to shape holiday moments with joy and strength. These stories, filled with pragmatic optimism and a commitment to celebrating despite challenges, deserve recognition and understanding. As the holiday season unfolds, let's celebrate the strength and unity of the IBDSuperHeroes community, proving that the spirit of joy prevails even in the face of unique challenges. 🎄💪



Comments