Crohn's & Colitis Awareness Week | Natasha's story

My IBD journey started in 2003 when I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease, 2 months before starting university. I was given Pentasa and everything was going well. However, my Crohn's became extreme in 2010. I can't remember a time that I was not flaring or an inpatient.

Since then, I had my large bowel removed in 2014 forming a permanent stoma, and was given infliximab, at the same time. I vomited more than 2 litres of blood and had clamps placed because of a perforated stomach ulcer. I thought this would be the end of my problems, but no, my Crohn's decided to spread to my small bowel. So, I had 2ft of my small bowel removed in 2017, and continued with infliximab.

Now in 2020, my Crohn's decided to mess with me again. I had a 9 hour operation, which included: Laparotomy - Left Ovarian Cyst removed (Endometriosis)
Closure of Colocutaneous fistula
38cm small bowel resection
Drainage of Sepsis
Extensive Adhesiolysis (removal of abdominal adhesions)

Having IBD is so unpredictable, and can effect you mentally as well as physically, but, it has made me even stronger! Even though my Crohn's is so extreme I will never stop being positive that there will be a better future, and I will continue to spread awareness to help others.



Comments