Your IBD Stories - Adam Micheal Pearce

Name: 
Adam Pearce

What year were you diagnosed and with which form of IBD?
I was first diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis back in 2012. I was rushed into hospital one evening, I had severe abdominal and lower stomach pain, the Drs put me on a drip and pumped me full of painkillers, after that I had tests and was told in no uncertain terms that I had colitis and it was flaring, that my Vitamin D levels were too low and as such I was put onto a combination of steroids and other drugs to manage my condition.

I was terrified, I had no idea what IBD or Colitis was, neither did anyone around me, I was terrified and spent the following weeks researching my condition.

A recent flare aside however, I am back in remission, I'm sticking to a strict diet which, thankfully, is keeping my symptoms at bay, my iron levels have improved and my fatigue has subsided, yes my diet is dull but it works and i'm proud of myself for sticking to it.

Have you identified anything that triggers you, and if so what?
I know there are certain foods to avoid, I have a list of do and don't eat foods, certain things to avoid at all costs and things I know are ok to eat... i once went 3 months eating plain chicken wraps for dinner because it was the only "main meal" that didn't trigger a flare up.

Highlight an invisible symptom of Inflammatory Bowel Disease which you feel affects you:
Fatigue, fatigue is evil, you're planning a day or night out and realise on the day you can't get out of bed, that's horrible, you end up letting people down... worse still is when people ask why you're tired, or question you for not doing things... you feel you need to explain why, when in reality it's something you have no control over.

Name one thing you feel like you’ve learnt or gained since having Inflammatory Bowel Disease:
I've learned, as cheesy as it sounds, that my fiance is incredible and that my friends and family are amazing... without their support and patience this condition would be so much harder to deal with.

Also have to give props to the IBD superheroes group on Facebook, Sahara and her team are amazing and the group had made me feel "normal".

I've also learned that some people just don't understand the severity of IBD, you can spend hours explaining and it will go over their heads, hence the need for more research and awareness.

What makes you an #IBDSuperHero?
I did a 10 mile charity walk, I'm proud of that, I never thought I could do it because of toilet breaks or pain but I did it.

I'm also proud of actually accepting my conditon, I used to just say yes, do things and not care that I felt ill... now I know to say no, to look after myself even it annoys other people because you can't attend something, I guess I've learned that it's OK to be sick.

Comments