Ostomy Awareness Day: AJ Mooney's story

Name: AJ Mooney
Age: 45
Location: Scotland 



Well mine started on 25th February 2014! I went to see Shane Filan in Glasgow and stayed over. I feel a bit off colour after we had eaten and put that down to the meal or just my Crohns. I felt better a short time after and was able to enjoy the concert. Afterwards I stayed over at a hotel and I woke in the middle of the night being sick and this was to continue until the 28th February.

On 28th February I was admitted to hospital where the found a blockage in my bowel. The tried a NG tube (tube down my nose) to remove it as I said I wanted a non-surgical option. I can't remember the exact background on how we got there but eventually it was agreed I would be started on Infliximab and I would be kept in over the weekend of 7-9th March and the all being well go home on the 10th March.

Well my body had other ideas and on 9th March I was rushed to theatre after my bowel had perforated. As I was prepared for surgery they made me agree to consent to a stoma which was always my biggest fear since being diagnosed with Crohns! I was in a whirlwind of doctors and needles & then three days later after being in a coma I woke up to my newest accessory Sulley! 

A year and a bit on after we became acquainted I have grown quite attached to my little monster and waiting to see if we will be friends for life!  So that is my #ostomystory well done for reading ahahaha! Oh and here is my fave pic of me and Sulley! 


Comments